The Virginia Prison Justice Network is gearing up for the 6th Annual Virginia Prison Justice Rally, which seeks to publicize issues important to the state’s prisoners in order to influence the Virginia General Assembly, which opens Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2023.
The rally will take place at 1 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 14, in Monroe Park – 620 W. Main St. in Richmond, Va.
2023 RALLY DEMANDS:
- End Solitary Confinement!
- Bring Back Parole!
- Reinstate “Second Chances” for those promised & then denied Earned Sentence Credit!
- Outside Oversight to end inhumane conditions in Virginia’s prisons, including:
- Shut down prisons with no AC: Augusta, Buckingham & Nottoway!
- Close Lawrenceville, Virginia’s only privately owned, for-profit prison!
- Raise the wages for prison labor, and make it voluntary for all jobs!
- Allow calls from personal tablets to end violence at prison phones!
- CloseLawrenceville, Virginia’s only privately owned, for-profit prison!
- End guard brutality!
- Seriously deal with the drug overdose crisis in prisons!
- Prompt and efficient medical care for all prisoners!
NOTE: All suggestions submitted to the VAPJN will be raised at the Jan.14 rally.
We are asking prisoners, formerly incarcerated, famlies, friends and other supporters to send us suggestions for issues to be raised at the rally. You can email the suggestions to DefendersFJE@hotmail.com or call or text 804-644-5834.
And you can help by going onto the rally’s Facebook event page and (1) mark yourself “going” (2) invite your Facebook friends and (3) sharing the page. The page is at “6th Annual Virginia Prison Justice Rally” – https://www.facebook.com/events/1420039031855070
We will also need volunteers at the rally itself. Please let us know if you would like to help.
More information will be posted as it becomes available.